ProKanban.org Applying Professional Kanban
Kanban is fast becoming the modern way to manage an organization’s delivery of customer value. In today’s always-on environment, you need a clear set of practices that don’t get in the way of your ability to continuously deliver but that provides enough structure to keep everyone aligned and focused. This two-day course will give you an in-depth introduction to improving your team’s effectiveness by applying Kanban flow principles.
In this class, you will learn the basic principles of flow and how to use them to make your team process more efficient, predictable, and effective. With an emphasis on the practical application of concepts, this course includes many hands-on exercises that will lead you through the steps of setting up and operating a Kanban system for continuous value delivery and improvement.
After attending the course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of flow
- Describe the value of WiP limits
- Create a visual board to manage your work
- Capture and interpret key flow metrics and analytics to find improvement opportunities
- Explain why flow should be focused on value delivery
- Define, build, operate and continuously improve a Kanban system
- Discuss how tooling impacts your implementation
- Discuss the diversity of flow/Kanban approaches and how Kanban Guide strives to not lack support for them.
- Understand that the organization can start with the most simple Kanban on the planet, without being simplistic, and allow for more sophisticated approaches where sophistication if needed
- As a bonus, discover Kanban for Complexity also know as Kanplexity for more complex work.
Who Should Attend
The Applied Professional Kanban course is for anyone who wants to improve their ability to deliver value and be more effective. Typical attendee roles include:
- anyone who is a Kanban system member in tech, e.g., developer, tester, business analyst, architect, UX researcher/designer
- anyone who is a Kanban system member in non-tech, e.g., marketing, legal, HR, sciences
- team members
- team leads
- agility coaches
- Scrum Masters
- flow managers
- Product Owners
- project managers
- product managers
- Kanban theory, principles and practices
- Applying Kanban
- Workflow design and visualization
- How to operate a Kanban system
- How to get started
After taking the course, you will have an opportunity to validate that you understand core Kanban topics. We will invite you to take an online assessment that evaluates your understanding and provides you with guidance on areas to improve. In addition, John Coleman offers one coaching/mentoring hour within the first 3 months, and 12-18 months after the workshop.
About the trainer, John Coleman
John Coleman is an active practitioner of agility in FMCG, finance, telecoms, utilities, retail, and supply chain. He happens to be a PKT, PST, and LeSS Friendly Scrum Trainer. John has researched & practiced techniques for people, culture & change since 2012, e.g., Viral Change, hence agility is only part of his skillset. John was trained by Marshall Goldsmith and he is certified to Spiral Dynamic Integral level II. John uses an integrative approach from Cynefin, systems thinking, and agility. He specializes in measurement and executive agility and he works at all levels. John makes huge efforts to understand the business domain and technical domain before presenting options. John was a software developer, and now he focuses on agility for non-tech and the entire organization. John’s style is invitation over imposition if at times he makes invitees aware of the constraints that go along with the options. John knows when to pull back and let people inform their own self-management. He co-authored Kanban Guide, contributed to Pivot - Real Cut-Through Stories By Experts At The Frontline Of Agility and Transformation, and authored Kanban for Complexity aka Kanplexity. John’s “agility chefs” livestream interviews with key thought leaders are proving popular on his YouTube channel.
Course delivery is heavily dependent on group activities with a combination of slides, flip charts, and exercises.
Apart from accessibility reasons of pre-arrangements with the trainer, a condition of ordering live virtual training is it’s mandatory to have camera on and mic on and be clearly in camera view. People can just be themselves, loved ones and pets are welcome. This condition is there to optimize the experience for all attendees and for the trainer. The trainer reserves the right to dismiss, without refund, attendees who refuse to turn on camera and mic without good reason in the view of the trainer. Travelling during training is not permitted. Attendance at live virtual training on a phone screen only is not permitted, as desktop size screens are needed.