Learn Kanban from the co-author of the Kanban Guide himself, John Coleman
Kanban is fast becoming the modern way to manage an organization’s delivery of customer value. In today’s always-on environment, you need a clear set of practices that don’t get in the way of your ability to continuously deliver but that provides enough structure to keep everyone aligned and focused. This 2 day course will give you an in-depth introduction to improving your team’s effectiveness by applying Kanban flow principles.
In this class, you will learn the basic principles of flow and how to use them to make your team process more efficient, predictable, and effective.
With an emphasis on the practical application of concepts, this course includes many hands-on exercises that will lead you through the steps of setting up and operating a Kanban system for continuous value delivery and improvement.
After attending the course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of flow
- Describe the value of WiP limits
- Create a visual board to manage your work
- Capture and interpret key flow metrics and analytics to find improvement opportunities
- Explain why flow should be focused on value delivery
- Define, build, operate and continuously improve a Kanban system
Who Should Attend
The Applied Professional Kanban course is for anyone who wants to improve their ability to deliver value and be more effective. Typical attendee roles include business analysts, team members, team leads, agile coaches, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, project managers and product managers.
- Kanban theory, strategy, and practices
- Applying Kanban practices
- Workflow design and visualization
- How to improve a Kanban system
- How to get started
After taking the course, you will have an opportunity to validate that you understand core Kanban topics. We will invite you to take an online assessment that evaluates your understanding and provides you with guidance on areas to improve.
Pricing excludes UK VAT. UK VAT only applies for orders from the UK, VAT does not apply outside the UK.
To request a manual invoice simply email email@example.com with the subject "manual invoice" -- payment would then be made via an electronic transfer, a Paypal transaction, or an over the phone card payment.
Without exception, all seats for a booking must be prepaid to confirm that booking.
VAT is additional for UK customers only.
Assessment preparation tends not to be covered in the workshop. The workshop focuses on attendees getting ready to apply new skills back at work immediately after the workshop. There is an expectation that attendees will attend some free post-workshop Zoom calls and watch recordings of their own group (or previous groups) doing tough practice tests, sometimes including John Coleman's own practice tests which address the same learning outcomes, albeit from a different angle. John has an expectation that attendees will attend the calls, as assessment preparation does not scale on a 1:1 basis. Signing up to this workshop is effectively signing up to attend these calls.
Rules to follow:
- be self-aware and conscious of the needs of others to have their say
- no hijacking of the agenda; a free coach session is on offer per attendee, use that instead.
FACE TO FACE
Classes are usually small, and even if not, John Coleman uses techniques that make a large class run very well, to a limit. John Coleman does not train class sizes over his operational limit so attendees can rightly get the full benefit of his classes.
Teas/coffees/snacks are provided mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Lunch is not provided and attendees have one hour for lunch.
If you have specific requirements, e.g., you require a free place for an assistant, you require wheelchair accessible venue/room set-up etc., please let John Coleman know in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The delivery content is a combination of slides, flip charts, and exercises. The focus is more on flip charts and exercises. The approach is a combination of experiential training and Training From The Back of The Room, regardless of the training course, while sticking to the Scrum.org learning objectives. Many practical problems get discussed and more often than not, options to solve problems are presented. But some problems need sessions in themselves, and it would be unfair to distract the class if the entire class doesn't want to take that path and/or the trainer is getting concerned that the learning objectives might not be attained within the training course timebox.
In addition, some topics could be completely outside the scope of the training class. To that end, some topics may need to be "parked". Some topics could be completely outside the scope of the training class. Best efforts are made to address "parked" topics during the workshop and/or subsequent video conference calls.
Location is not 100% confirmed, it is an approximate location. Location cannot be finally booked until final numbers are known.
Let's err on the side of caution to cover all eventualities. Please only book travel one week in advance and use low-commitment accommodation bookings that allow cancellation 24 hours in advance without charges. Most accommodation booking websites allow 24-hour cancellation in advance, please select that option. Please book travel at the last responsible moment (one week to go, confirming with John Coleman at email@example.com). For example, for flight, consider using low-cost booking services such as Skyscanner or Kayak.
Subject to GDPR or other regulations:
- Attendees may be asked to optionally consent to receive communications, e.g., follow-up email newsletters.
- A booking is not a guarantee of attendance. The trainer may need to contact attendees to assess their readiness for the training class. It is possible the trainer will recommend additional training / reading before you can be accepted into the booked class.
- In order to get an assessment, the trainer must submit your name and email address to Scrum.org; Scrum.org may in turn send you regular newsletters.
- Attendees will be invited to a slack channel for the class to enable communications before, during, and after the class.
- Photographs and/or video permission will be requested in class for follow up marketing purposes.
- Reviews & Testimonials will be requested in class; you can add the same review and star rating to each of VocalReferences, TrustPilot, and Google, to be performed optionally in class. Attendees may also be asked to provide feedback to Scrum.org. For these requests, regardless of the response, additional bonus learning content will be delivered.
- A limited number of free of charge post training Zoom/alternative calls are offered. To book, attendees can arrange to meet me via https://calendly.com/johncolemanagile
- Attendees may be asked to join compatible communities, e.g., the LeSS community.
- See the privacy statement at orderlydisruption.com.